Interview | Dark Tropics



Approximately 2,368 miles from Belfast, 20 year old songwriter Rio was dreaming of joining a jazz band.

Like Amy Winehouse before her, Rio's pop-ambitions were secondary to the simple art of self-expression; a shy exterior hiding a voice of nostalgic vulnerability. Upon her return, the singer placed an ad to turn the dream into reality; Meanwhile, like a twist from a Jennifer Egan novel, Newry born producer/songwriter and ex Kid Trench frontman Gerard Sands was on the lookout to form a new band. Scouring the internet for singers, he came across Rio's ad. It stuck out a mile. She sent over an acapella-jazz rendition of 'Crazy' by Gnarles Barkley and as simply as it had all started, Dark Tropics were born.

What's remarkable about 'Badlands', Dark Tropics brooding, melancholic debut single, is the intensity of the vocal. A jazz heart remains at the base of the duos cinematic pop, with Gerard's compositions propping the venture up, keeping things moving. To be so young, Rio exerts a deeply personal connection to every note and lyric. Whether by design, or accident, it's no surprise that within only a few months Dark Tropics have risen from virtually nothing to radio playlists across Ireland, with RTE, Today FM, BBC Radio Ulster and more giving 'Badlands' significant airtime. Having worked tirelessly since their formation last year, the current lockdown may afford a chance to breathe for a change. Taylor Johnson took the rare chance to catch up with Dark Tropics reclusive frontwoman Rio...


Hi Rio, thanks for taking the time to chat to us! How’ve you been?


Everything is a bit mad at the moment but considering what’s happening I’ve been much better than expected!!


We live in strange times right now, have you been able to find any inspiration amid the madness? Scenes from around the world are extraordinary…


I’ve been walking down to Portmuck most days, at one point it was very overcast and everything was grey, I can’t explain the feeling but it definitely was the biggest inspiration I’ve had in a while, everything is so surreal right now that I feel like inspiration is everywhere!


Your formation story reads like something from a novel, how natural was your songwriting connection when you first began writing together?


I was going from writing poetry to songs, totally different things, for myself it’s been a journey to learn to write songs that mean something but still sound like songs! But I was able to connect with Gerard’s writing almost instantly and I find when we wrote together, everything is a lot faster and smoother.


Did you know straight away something special was happening?


I’ll let you know when it actually sinks in, I’m still in a bubble of disbelief!


You can hear the jazz-influence shimmering under ‘Badlands’, will that always be something you keep at the heart of your music?


It’s not in everything, but I always try to sneak a little jazz in! Definitely a big love of mine.


How surprised have you been by the reception the singles received? In the modern world it’s increasingly rare for commercial radio to support new talent, but the grassroots following you’ve built speaks for itself…


Even now, none of it feels real, I know it’s happening but it doesn’t feel like it’s happening to us? I was beyond shocked and absolutely elated at the reception it received!


Growing up, did you always want to be in a band and can you remember the first band/artist you fell in love with?


I loved singing but I never thought much of it, it wasn’t until I started to listen to postmodern jukebox actually that I though “Maybe I COULD do this”! The first band I remember falling in love with was AC/DC! My biggest loves came later in life…


You played your debut gig together at Output Festival and it was Rio’s first gig ever. It’s incredibly rare to have fans down to your first ever gig, but that’s been the reality for Dark Tropics. How does it feel knowing people believe in, and connect to your band from such early days?


If you see any of the videos, there’s a guy in orange dancing like a maniac in the front row, that’s one of my close friends! When I told people about my gig they were all shocked as I hadn’t actually told many people about the band, so to have so many people close to me show up made me unbelievably happy, every time I got nervous I looked up and saw Matt smiling and dancing and all my nerves just melted away! I also really hope that people can connect to our music, all the music I love now is something I connect with and thinking that someone could get the same joy out of something that Dark Tropics produces fills my heart with joy.


You’ve mentioned in previous interviews an early bonding point for you both was Radiohead and The Rolling Stones. Who has the biggest influence over the new music you’re writing?


I really connect with how Keaton Henson writes, it’s so heartfelt and vulnerable, he has definitely been a massive influence on what we’re currently working on! But aside from that, Radiohead will never leave and The Velvet Underground has me by its grips at the moment!


Finally guys, you’ve already began working towards a debut album. A mammoth achievement for any band. What do you hope listeners take away from that record, when they finally hold it in their hands?


Hopefully they will get a feeling of understanding from it, hopefully they’ll listen and feel happy, sad, angry but most of all they’ll understand the scenarios. I guess you could call it a sense of unity almost?


Taylor Johnson

2 comments:

Powered by Blogger.